Saturday, December 3, 2011

Popular Vegetable Spring Rolls

I have a good friend who is Japanese. She introduced me to rice paper and it has since become a staple in my diet. My favorite recipe using rice paper is for simple, vegetable spring rolls. I make them both as a meal when I want something light, and as an appetizer. As a matter of fact, I made these as an appetizer this evening when we had some people over and they were gone very quickly. People were raving about them. Here are some of the quotes: "these are so could you could go into catering and sell these" and "these are awesome, I want to eat them every night". I also made them for a Super Bowl party earlier this year, and they were a huge hit there. The best part? They are very easy to make and super healthy.
 Recipe

1. Select the veggies that you want to use and cut them into long, thin strips (I usually use avocado, lettuce, cucumbers, red pepper and carrots).
2. Take 1 sheet of round rice paper and dip it in warm water for approximately 5 seconds (until the rice paper is soft). I used this rice paper, which I ordered on Amazon.
3. Lay the rice paper on a flat surface and place some veggies in the middle. Note: it is better to under stuff them then over stuff them. If you try to use too many vegetables, the rolls rip. I usually put a total of 5-6 veggie slices in each roll.
4. Wrap the rice paper like you would a burrito. Start by folding one side over the stuffing, then fold the sides in and roll up the rest of the way.
5. Cut the wrap in half diagonally.
6. Repeat until you have as many spring rolls as desired.
7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP: Choose your favorite dipping sauces. I recommend offering two different dipping sauces; one peanut sauce and one duck or sweet chill sauce.
8. Serve and get ready for a ton of compliments