Sunday, December 4, 2011

Big Plastic Glasses

All around New York I have been seeing women and men wearing large plastic glasses. When I say large, I mean 80's large. Here are a few examples of the types of glasses I am talking about:

Anne Hathaway via Izismile
Emmy Rossum via Superbooyah

Hot, right? When I first noticed this trend I really wanted to try it, but glasses are so expensive and I didn't want to drop serious cash on a pair of glasses that I could only wear occasionally, especially since I work in a corporate setting and none of the glasses above would be work appropriate unfortunately.

The solution? Zenni optical! I came across this site on Ramshackleglam a while back, but was always too chicken to try it out. They seem to have hundreds of frames to choose from, the glasses range form $6 to $46 and they are prescription! All you do is select the frames and enter your prescription at checkout. A few weeks ago my husband and I decided to bite the bullet and order a few pairs to liven up our glasses repertoire. We just received them in the mail and are really happy with them. I was nervous that the frames would look cheap, not fit my face or that the prescription would be way off, but they ended up looking great and the prescription seems good.

Here are some tips to help order glasses online from a site like Zenni:
1. Make sure to measure the lens and frame height and width of a pair of glasses that you currently have. This will give you a frame of reference to use when trying to figure out if a particular frame will fit your face.
2. Use a current prescription from your eye doctor (this goes without saying...)
3. Be as accurate as possible when measuring your pupillary distance (the distance between the center of your pupils). Zenni walks you through how to measure this when you order on their site.
4. Double check the prescription info that you entered before checking out. We all know it is easy to make a typo.

Some of my favorites are these, these, these, and these.