Sunday, March 20, 2011

Goodwill Sundays!


One of my favorite weekend activities is a trip to the Goodwill or one of the other thrift stores in my neighborhood. There are 3 reasons why I love shopping at these second hand stores:

1. It is like a very rewarding treasure hunt! Sometimes I go and don't find anything, but other times I go and walk away with bags full of unique, awesome, designer, vintage frocks. I have found countless Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc. items. This winter, I scored an amazing black, full-length Michael Kors down jacket for $11.99. In the above photos are some of the items that I have purchased over the past few weeks. The brown, wooden necklace was $2.99, and all 3 of the bags in the middle photo were purchased for between $4.99 to $14.99. The bags, from left to right, are a vintage black leather Coach bag, a brown leather hand-made bag from Peru, and a vintage brown and white leather Dooney and Bourke equestrian bag.

2. The proceeds go to great causes. The Goodwill proceeds go towards employment training for people in need. At another thrift store near my house, the proceeds go towards AIDS research. When you shop at these stores, you are supporting wonderful charities!

3. It is an environmentally friendly way to shop! Buying second hand saves resources that are required to make and ship new products.

Shopping at second-hand stores, specifically the Goodwill, can be a little overwhelming. Here at my suggestions for mastering these stores and coming away with some seriously great merchandise:

1. Go during the week, if possible. The stores are very big and have large racks packed with clothes. When you add the weekend crowds to that equation, it can be a little hectic. Also, since the weekends draw the biggest crowds, most of the good items go pretty early in the morning, and some stores don't even stock new items on the weekends.

2. Only go when you are in a good mood and are feeling energized. There are lots of racks to go through, and the best items are sometimes hidden.

3. Bring water and a snack. That sounds really funny, I know, but I am a big fan of always carrying water and a snack, especially when you are fighting the crowds.

Happy hunting!